Among the most important Italian opera houses, the Teatro Comunale was designed by Antonio Galli Bibiena after the loss of the presigious Teatro Malvezzi, which was destroyed in a fire in 1745, and was built in the area of the Palazzo dei Bentivoglio, the last Lords of Bologna. The Teatro Comunale’s project, inauguarated the 14th May 1763, is characterised by the structure of the walls and from the plants to the belltower, architecturally innovative for the time. Like most historical Italian theatres, over the years it has been readapted and restored but never rebuilt, depite the fire that destroyed the stage in 1931. Today the theatre is also endowed with an historical archive, a library and a modern room for choirs and orchestra rehearsals. The artistic programme of the Teatro Comunale includes an opera season and a symphony season. It also runs lecture series and teaching activities.
This post is also available in: Italian