The Philarmonic School was founded in 1804 and in 1942 became the Conservatory of Music, taking the name of Giovanni Battista Marini, the leading musician and composer of the 18th century and famous all over the world. It is the oldest public music school in Italy. Mattei, Golinelli, Gaspari, Mancinelli, Martucci, Bossi, Nordio, Zecchi, Benedetti Michelangeli were once teachers of the school and Rossini, Donizetti, Malipiero, Molinari, Pradelli and many more studied here. Today the school counts around one hundred teachers, engaged in the study of classical, electronic and jazz music. Since 2013 the Conservatory owns a second building, located in via Ca’ Selvatica. The conservatory organises not only courses but also several musical events, such as “Tre quarti d’ora”, “Musica in fiore” and “Suona francese”. These concerts are held in different buildings throughout the city, like the “Cappella Farnese” in the Comune. Like other prestigious Conservatories of music in Italy, it is a member of “AFAM-Alta Formazione Artistica e Musical” (Advanced art and music education).
This post is also available in: Italian