The church of Santa Cristina, rebuilt in 1602 by Giulio da Torre on an ancient thirteenth-century Camaldolese building, after several changes on its habitual use, from the time of Napoleonic expropriation on, was finally reopened to the public in 2008 by Fondazione Carisbo as a classical music auditorium. The church has a single nave with four chapels per side, with statues and pictorial artworks. Among these, the only two sculptural testimonies by artist Guido Reni, depicting the saints Peter and Paul.
The architectural peculiarity of the building is the narrowing of the presbytery behind the main altar: this characteristic makes it particularly suitable for listening to musical representations, making the structure a sound box that spreads the sound with extraordinary acoustic clarity.
For this reason in the past, the singing of the nuns was propagated with clarity from the aula behind the apse to the entrance of the building, originating the myth of the nuns musicians.
Thanks to this peculiarity, the Church hosts each year concerts entrusted to exceptional interpreters.
The Church of Santa Cristina is open to the public during events and concerts.
Guided tours are organized by appointment.
This post is also available in: Italian