At the end of a long and passionate work undertaken in 2006 by the Accademia degli Astrusi and by Maestro Federico Ferri to rediscover the complete works of Father Giambattista Martini, famous composer and Mozart’s teacher, on Saturday May, 18th, 2019 at 3 pm, at the International and Music Library Museum of Bologna – Strada Maggiore 34 – the box set (9 CD + 1 DVD) and the critical edition of the Maestro’s instrumental work are presented to the public.
Among one of the most illustrious and complex personalities of the European musical scene of the eighteenth century, he was only nineteen years old when he was appointed as “maestro di cappella” in the church of San Francesco in Bologna, but Martini was already famous for being an excellent music teacher and music connoisseur.
Throughout the years he continued his musical studies with devotion and he also made a name for himself as a great composer. He was the author of over 700 sacred choral compositions, wrote numerous pieces of secular music and theatrical music.
In his dedication to instrumental music, he wrote 12 concerts, 24 chamber symphonies, over 100 sonatas, 1273 canons and other chamber compositions.
From the numerous letters preserved in the International and Music Library Museum, more than 30 volumes, for a total of almost 6.000 letters, we learn how many and which illustrious personalities, musicians, noblemen, singers and cardinals maintained relations of esteem and friendship with him. Even the emperor of Austria, passing through Bologna, wished to make his acquaintance.
And it was right in Bologna that Father Martini established a prestigious school of composition, in which Johan Christian Bach was forged, and in 1770 the great Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
The collection of Padre Martini is one of the most prestigious collections for the repertoire of printed music from the 1500s to the 1700s, for its incunabula, for its precious manuscripts, for opera librettos, for portraits, as well as for the singular collection of autographs and letters, the result of a correspondence carefully kept with eminent figures, scholars and musicians of the period. Escaped from Napoleonic confiscations thanks to the intervention of Stanislao Mattei, pupil and successor of Martini, in 1816 the immense bibliographic heritage (established at that time by about 17,000 volumes) it was donated to the Liceo Musicale of the Municipality of Bologna – now the G.B. Martini Conservatory – established in 1804 at the former convent of the Augustinians, in the church of San Giacomo Maggiore.
Today, thanks to the immense work of Maestro Federico Ferri and the orchestra he conducts, it is possible to rediscover the complete works of the Bolognese composer, both with the record edition, published by the major Warner Music, and with the critical edition composed of 80 volumes by the Masters Federico Ferri and Daniele Proni, published by Suvini-Zerboni / Sugarmusic and internationally distributed by Hall-Leonard.
The entire instrumental corpus is contained in 9 CDs to which is added a DVD with 2 very rare interludes, Don Quixote and Il Maestro di Musica, performed by the Accademia degli Astrusi in co-production with the Teatro Comunale of Bologna and with the scenography realized on sketches by Dario Fo.
This post is also available in: Italian